|Essential Eligibility Criteria|
KIAT courses are available to anyone who can meet the essential eligibility criteria outlined by the American Canoe Association. KIAT is committed to accessiblity and we invite any paddler who can meet these criteria to join our classes and tours:
- Able to independently participate in all individual skills and activities covered during the course or tour while also maintaining an appropriate and safe body position (contact us to discuss what will be covered in a class or would be required in a tour);
- Able to hold your breath while under water and, while in the water wearing a properly fitted lifejacket, be able to independently turn from a face down to a face up position so that you can breath while in the water (required even if immersion is not a planned part of the course or tour). If you question your ability to do this, we can work with you privately one-on-one to test this out and to teach you a technique to turn from face down to face up while in the water wearing a lifejacket;
- Able to effectively communicate with the instructor or guide and other course or tour participants (what will be considered effective can be tested and worked out);
- Able to manage all personal care independently, or with the assitance of a companion;
- Able to manage all personal mobility independently, or with the assistance of a companion.
If you meet these criteria we will work with you to adapt equipment, content, and context (e.g., launch sites) to meet any needs you may have.